Wiper arms are an essential component of your vehicle’s windshield wiper system. They are responsible for holding the wiper blades in place and ensuring they make proper contact with the windshield’s surface. Over time, the tension in the wiper arms may become loose, resulting in ineffective wiping and reduced visibility. However, adjusting the wiper arm tension is a simple task that can be done at home without the need for professional assistance.
Why Adjusting Wiper Arm Tension is Important
Properly adjusted wiper arm tension is crucial for optimal performance of your windshield wiper system. If the tension is too loose, the wiper blades may not adequately clear water, dirt, or debris from your windshield, impairing your visibility and posing a safety hazard. On the other hand, if the tension is too tight, it may cause excessive pressure on the wiper blades and even damage them or the wiper motor.
Steps to Adjust Wiper Arm Tension
Here is a step-by-step guide to help you adjust the wiper arm tension:
- Start by lifting the wiper arm away from the windshield until it locks into its raised position.
- Locate the small hinge at the base of the wiper arm where it connects to the vehicle’s wiper transmission or motor. This hinge typically has a small locking tab that can be released to adjust the tension.
- Using a flat head screwdriver, gently lift the locking tab to unlock the hinge. Be careful not to force it or use excessive pressure to avoid damaging the hinge.
- Once the hinge is unlocked, you can move the wiper arm more freely.
- Adjust the tension by moving the wiper arm up or down. If you want to increase the tension, move the arm upwards. On the other hand, if you want to decrease the tension, move the arm downwards.
- Every few adjustments, lower the wiper arm onto the windshield to test the tension and ensure it provides the desired pressure and contact with the windshield surface.
- Repeat the process for the other wiper arm if necessary.
- Once you have achieved the desired tension, push the locking tab back into place to secure the hinge.
Here are some additional tips to keep in mind while adjusting wiper arm tension:
- It’s important to adjust both wiper arms evenly to maintain a balanced wiping action.
- If your wiper blades are old or damaged, consider replacing them while adjusting the wiper arm tension for optimal performance.
- If you still experience poor visibility or uneven wiping after adjusting the wiper arm tension, it’s recommended to have your windshield wiper system inspected by a professional.
Frequently Asked Questions For How To Adjust Wiper Arm Tension
How Do You Adjust Wiper Arm Tension?
To adjust wiper arm tension, locate the nut at the base of the wiper arm and loosen it. Then, move the arm up or down to increase or decrease tension, respectively. Finally, tighten the nut to secure the desired tension level.
What Causes Wiper Arm Tension To Be Too High?
Wiper arm tension can be too high due to a few reasons, such as a worn out wiper blade, corrosion on the wiper arm, or a faulty wiper motor. If you notice excessive pressure on the windshield or streaks while operating the wipers, it may indicate high tension.
Why Is It Important To Adjust Wiper Arm Tension?
Adjusting wiper arm tension is essential as it ensures optimal contact of the wiper blade with the windshield. Proper tension allows the blade to clear water effectively, providing better visibility while driving in rainy conditions. A well-adjusted tension also prevents damage to the wiper blade and prolongs its lifespan.
Can I Adjust Wiper Arm Tension Myself?
Yes, you can adjust wiper arm tension yourself with some basic tools. By following the correct procedure, as mentioned in the blog post, you can easily increase or decrease the tension according to your preference. However, if you feel unsure or uncomfortable, it’s always recommended to seek professional help.
How Often Should I Adjust Wiper Arm Tension?
Wiper arm tension doesn’t require frequent adjustments unless you notice a significant change in its performance. However, if you replace the wiper blades or notice streaking, skipping, or inadequate wiping, it’s a good idea to check and adjust the tension to ensure optimal wiper operation.
Adjusting the wiper arm tension is a simple and straightforward task that can help ensure your windshield wiper system operates at its best. By following these easy steps, you can maintain proper contact between the wiper blades and the windshield, leading to clearer visibility and safer driving during inclement weather conditions.