If you’re planning a road trip or vacation with your Chevy Equinox, you might be wondering if it can be flat towed. Flat towing, also known as dinghy towing, involves towing a vehicle behind an RV or motorhome without using a trailer. It’s a convenient way to bring your vehicle along on your adventures without the need for additional equipment.
The answer to whether or not the Chevy Equinox can be flat towed depends on the model year. In general, Chevy Equinox models from 2010 to 2022 come with an automatic transmission and can be flat towed with the proper procedure and equipment. However, it’s always a good idea to consult your owner’s manual or contact a Chevrolet dealer to confirm the flat towing capabilities of your specific model.
What You Need to Flat Tow a Chevy Equinox
Before you start flat towing your Chevy Equinox, there are a few things you’ll need to ensure a safe and smooth towing experience:
- A flat towing system: This includes a tow bar, base plate, safety cables, and a supplemental braking system. The tow bar connects your RV or motorhome to your Equinox, while the base plate is installed on the front of the vehicle to provide a connection point for the tow bar. Safety cables add an extra level of security, and a supplemental braking system helps the RV brake both vehicles.
- Adequate towing capacity: Your RV or motorhome should have the necessary towing capacity to safely tow your Equinox. Check your RV’s owner’s manual or contact the manufacturer to determine its towing capacity.
- Proper equipment installation: It’s crucial to have the flat towing equipment installed correctly to ensure safety and prevent any damage to your Equinox. Consider consulting a professional or a qualified RV service center for the installation.
Flat Towing Procedure for the Chevy Equinox
Once you have all the necessary equipment and have confirmed that your specific Chevy Equinox is flat towable, you can follow these steps to flat tow your vehicle:
- Ensure that your Equinox is in “Park” and the ignition is switched to the “Accessory” position.
- Attach the tow bar to the base plate on the front of your Equinox and connect it to your RV or motorhome.
- Double-check that the safety cables are properly attached and secure.
- Connect the supplemental braking system to your Equinox and RV for added safety.
- Test the brake lights, turn signals, and headlights to ensure they are working correctly.
- Before hitting the road, drive a short distance to make sure everything is working as it should.
Remember to follow any additional instructions provided by the manufacturer of your specific flat towing equipment.
Benefits and Considerations of Flat Towing
Flat towing offers several benefits when traveling with your Chevy Equinox:
- Convenience: Flat towing allows you to bring your Equinox along without the need for a trailer, saving space and making it easier to maneuver.
- Cost-effectiveness: Compared to towing with a trailer, flat towing can be a more economical option as it eliminates the need to purchase and maintain a separate trailer.
- Flexibility: With flat towing, you have the freedom to disconnect your Equinox and use it for exploring once you’ve reached your destination.
However, there are a few considerations to keep in mind before flat towing:
- Weight and size restrictions: Ensure that your RV or motorhome has the necessary capacity to safely tow your Equinox. It’s essential to stay within the recommended weight limits.
- Fuel consumption: Towing a vehicle behind your RV can impact fuel efficiency. Keep in mind that you may need to make more frequent stops for gas.
- Additional wear and tear: Flat towing can put additional strain on your Equinox’s transmission and other components. Regular maintenance and inspections are essential to ensure its longevity.
Frequently Asked Questions For Can Chevy Equinox Be Flat Towed
Can The Chevy Equinox Be Flat Towed?
Yes, the Chevy Equinox can be flat towed. It is designed to be easily towed behind an RV or motorhome.
What Is The Towing Capacity Of The Chevy Equinox?
The towing capacity of the Chevy Equinox is up to 1,500 pounds. This allows you to tow small trailers or recreational equipment with ease.
How Do You Flat Tow A Chevy Equinox?
To flat tow a Chevy Equinox, you will need to adhere to the manufacturer’s guidelines and use a tow bar, baseplate, and supplemental braking system.
Can I Flat Tow A Chevy Equinox With An Automatic Transmission?
Yes, you can flat tow a Chevy Equinox with an automatic transmission. However, it is important to follow the proper procedures outlined in the owner’s manual.
Is Flat Towing The Chevy Equinox Safe?
Yes, flat towing the Chevy Equinox is safe when done correctly. Following the recommended guidelines and using the proper equipment will ensure a safe towing experience.
In summary, if you have a Chevy Equinox from 2010 to 2022 with an automatic transmission, it can likely be flat towed with the appropriate equipment. However, always consult your owner’s manual or reach out to a Chevrolet dealer to confirm the flat towing capabilities for your specific model. Remember to adhere to proper installation procedures and follow all precautions to ensure a safe and enjoyable towing experience. Happy towing!